Pages

08 September 2016

Maidstone parkrun badges

I've been going to parkrun for the past 3 years, and I love it! I can honestly not imagine my Saturday mornings without parkrun. Or in fact my Christmas and New Year mornings (yes we run Christmas and New Year too).

If you haven't heard of parkrun, its a free 5K running event that started in Bushy park in London, and has literally spread across the UK and a number of other Countries as well. Every parkrun I've been to is really welcoming, and anyone can join, so if you're interested visit http://www.parkrun.org.uk/events/events/ to find your local.

Here are two images I've made inspired by my local parkrun at Maidstone. The idea behind these images came from talking to a running friend about "wouldn't it be cool if you could collect running badges". So I decided to have a go at making some. This reminded me of being a Brownie and collecting different badges for different activities.

The first image is Maidstone parkrun badge. This is a kind of map of Maidstone parkrun, showing the key features. That's right there are donkeys! Although they don't do much running. I wanted convey the atmosphere of parkrun and show a sense of community.



The second image is of Allington castle which can be seen on the other side of the river. I wanted to draw this as there's a bit of a 'running' joke at Maidstone parkrun, as people often miss the castle. It's often obscured by trees and I think people are just in the running zone. However I liked the idea of a castle badge for people who spot the castle.



Watch this space for more parkrun badges in the future. I like to do a bit of parkrun touristing, so hopefully there will be more to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment